Building the future, one journalist at a time.
I not only have I worked within the journalism field, but I’ve done my part to recruit fresh talent into the industry. I’m a strong supporter of the next generation of writers, reporters, and other communications professionals and aim to help them accomplish their goals and reach for their dreams.
San Diego Association of Black Journalists
In 2000 I helped found the San Diego Association of Black Journalists and served as its president and social media manager. SDABJ is a non-profit group made up of media professionals is part of the National Association of Black Journalists.
Under my leadership, SDABJ has become an important organization within the San Diegan community. SDABJ’s mission is to promote learning, support, and growth, and to help tell the stories of those who can’t tell their own.
For 14 years SDABJ has given scholarships to numerous students, including a highly sought after full-ride scholarship to National University’s journalism program.
While working as a journalism professor at Southwestern College in Chula Vista, CA, I’ve been a mentor and teacher to countless aspiring journalists throughout the years.
My community service includes the following positions:
- National Academy of Arts and Television Sciences, Pacific Southwest Chapter, member and governor
- Online News Association, member and founding member of San Diego chapter
- National Association of Black Journalists, board member and member
- San Diego Association of Black Journalists, founding president, social media manager
- California Teachers’ Association